Don’t forget to look after yourself!

Caitlin McGinnis
Caitlin McGinnis
Getting a stoma for many people will mean the end of extreme pain and illness, so it can be easy to forget that you still need to look after yourself.

I’m sitting here writing this on a Tuesday morning at home.  I’m supposed to be at work but I woke up with extreme back pain and nausea.  I have chronic back pain but this pain feels a lot worse.  I felt sick to my stomach when my alarm went off to get ready for work.  I hate missing work and always feel so guilty when I call in sick.  I lay in bed for a while contemplating trying to go to work or calling out.  Finally, I decided to take care of myself and call in sick.

It’s been in the high 90s and 100 degrees Fahrenheit the last few days.  I was so busy at work yesterday that I didn’t drink enough water.  It’s most likely a combination of dehydration and a stomach bug.  Luckily, I live with my partner and he can work from home so he is here taking care of me.  He’s already poured me water with electrolyte powder in it and made me breakfast.  He’s the best. 

It’s so important to take care of yourself.  I often think that because I no longer have Ulcerative Colitis, that I’m cured altogether and I quickly realize that this is not the case.  I still have an invisible illness with my ostomy.  It brings many new challenges that I have to navigate daily.  I often think that I am invincible and I can handle anything.  I forget what my body went through and I need to take care of it and show it love.

With that being said, I need to drink more throughout the day and keep my body hydrated especially in this hot weather.  I need to make sure I’m full and eating healthy options.  I have a workout routine that I started and although I’ve missed a few days, today will be day 21.  I may not get to it since I don’t feel well today but I’ll be back on it this week.

Parents
No Data
Comment Children
No Data