Building confidence with your ostomy

Caitlin McGinnis
Caitlin McGinnis
I feel like I spend a lot of time talking to other ostomates about feeling confident. It usually takes time to feel that way and you may not always feel good. Surrounding yourself with friends and family that love you no matter what will help.

I recently went on a beach trip with a few of my girl friends. There were 4 of us in total and we stayed at a really cute studio condo right across from the beach. I was a little nervous about this trip only because we’d be in close quarters at the beach for 5 days and a few of the girls weren’t very familiar with my ostomy (they knew I had one but that’s about it). Luckily, my ostomy caused ZERO issues the entire trip and it was like any other day. The trip was very relaxing and it was exactly what we all needed with our high stress jobs. I rocked a two-piece one day at the beach and felt amazing in it. It felt great and I felt sexy.

I feel like I spend a lot of time talking to other ostomates about feeling confident. It usually takes time to feel that way and you may not always feel good. Surrounding yourself with friends and family that love you no matter what will help. My friends don’t care about it and if I fart or make a noise, we all just start laughing. Laughing makes me feel better and it lightens the mood. We all do it (we just can’t control it). The same goes when you are dating or starting a relationship with someone else. I always struggle about when to find the right time to tell someone I’m dating. It’s different for everyone. I had a guy Google me once and when you Google my name, the first link is for Facebook and the second is for My Bigger Life profile and blogs. To top it off, there are a million photos of me on Google (mostly related to my blog posts). Better to discus it early on!

Anonymous