How is everyone sleeping?

Hey, how has everyone been sleeping? Have you had any difficulty sleeping or do you have any tips for getting a good nights sleep with a stoma? 

Parents
  • I’ve been sleeping awfully since my surgery at the end of last month. The most consecutive sleep I’d had until last night was 6 hours. But for me it’s not down to the stoma. Just plain old insomnia as far as I can tell.

ive gone from being a side / front sleeper to having to sleep on my back.side sleeping is far too uncomfortable and painful at the moment. I get sleep paralysis when i sleep on my back so that’s been fun... =(

• Sorry Christa hit the send button before I finished!   As for getting up during the night - you could stay in bed all night if you want to but you do have a stoma that in a way dictates how long your sleep can be.  If you you look at your emptying pattern during the day - how many hours do you get?   A lot depends on what you eat, and at what time you eat particularly in the evening. I personally try to have my last meal by 7pm.    If you empty your bag before you go to bed - reckon on getting up about 4 hours later to empty it.  Quite often it's blown up like a balloon - a lot of hot air!  Personally I get up around  5-6am - but I'am night bird only going to bed around 1am. You are in the very early stages of stoma life.  I guess it's like having a baby to look after -you become "tuned"  in and you get to the stage where you seem to sense - "better get up and empty this bag" - you do it automatically and before you know it you're back in bed asleep and suddenly it's morning - time to get up!   The important thing is not to worry - as with anything this a BIG change in you life and you're having to adapt.  You'll laugh in time looking back on these early days.  By the way I'm 68 and have had "His Lordship" since I was 17 - 51 years ( Crohns Disease) Wouldn't swap him for the world - he can be a handy excuse if I ever need one!!  Take care and laugh your way through all this - it's the only way.

• Thanks for the reply! So far (fingers crossed!) I’ve not been woken up with an impending disaster. The closest I came was the morning after my surgery when I had a bag without a filter on which was pulling away from my skin. I presume they used one of these bags so they could see if my stoma was working. I miss sleeping on my side but my abdomen is still very swollen and tender. I also had a pelvic floor operation at the same time as my ileostomy, so that adds to my limited movement! Improving day by day though, it’s really cool to see my progress. Hopefully I can walk unassisted soon and stand for more than a minute.
  • Thanks for the reply! So far (fingers crossed!) I’ve not been woken up with an impending disaster. The closest I came was the morning after my surgery when I had a bag without a filter on which was pulling away from my skin. I presume they used one of these bags so they could see if my stoma was working. I miss sleeping on my side but my abdomen is still very swollen and tender. I also had a pelvic floor operation at the same time as my ileostomy, so that adds to my limited movement! Improving day by day though, it’s really cool to see my progress. Hopefully I can walk unassisted soon and stand for more than a minute.
Children
No Data
Related