I’m having a hernia repair and removal of the rectum

I’m having a hernia repair and removal of my rectum in April, I received my ileostomy October 2020. What should I expect my recovery to be like and what can I do to avoid complications in the future?. Thank you.

• Hi Micki, in my experience you should be able to start mobilising within the first 24 hours of your operation(possibly with the support of ward nurse to begin) Many people are able to commence drinking and eating small amounts soon after their operation however the Doctors and Nurses will decide when it is the most appropriate time for you. 

It is crucial that you avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise within the first few weeks/months of surgery in order to minimise the risk of another hernia. Your Stoma Care Nurse will be able to guide you on gentle and safe post-operative exercises and may also suggest a support garment when the time is right. Research also suggests stopping smoking may help to reduce the risk of parastomal hernias. 

I wish you all the very best with your pending surgery and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Kindest

Marie( Clinical Advisor)

• Hi I have had my rectum removed which I found the recovery quicker than my original surgery, I found keeping the area clean by shower rather than bath helped ( sitting in the bath can be difficult for quite a few weeks), I havent had a hernia so I can't comment but as you are having both things done I did find a maternity pillow very helpful to hug when lying down, either on sofa or bed. Hope all goes well, and let us know. Clare

Related